Image Map

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Buttermilk Berry Muffins

Lately I have been dreaming I warmer days.  Days filled with beautiful sunshine hot enough to make us yearn for cool waters to play and swim in. Berry picking is another activity that I identify with warm and sunny days.  Unfortunately right now here in Southern NH warm weather is far far away....well at least another 3 months away I should say.  So in the meantime I have chosen to bake with berries.  If I don't look outside (at the snow and ice) and just stay cozy in my kitchen (with my berries) warm weather is possible in my world.


I love how this recipe provided such yummy muffins.  The texture was soft and almost cake like - many thanks to the buttermilk. The flavor of the berries along with the lemon zest gave off a delicious sweetness with just a touch of tartness from the lemon.  The original recipe only called for blueberries but because I had some lovely raspberries frozen from last summers picking I decided to add those in too.....thus the "berry" muffins. 

I consider buttermilk the magic of all recipes when part of the ingredient list as it adds such a perfect taste and texture to the recipe.  Please don't let buttermilk intimidate you as it is made so easily with milk and a splash of lemon juice.  Let those two characters sit together for a couple of minutes unstirred and viola you have buttermilk!



Buttermilk Berry Muffins
(recipe recipe slightly adapted from Warmth in the North)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter - at room temp
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs - at room temp
2 cups flour - divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 heaping cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 heaping cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbsp sugar - for dusting

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.  I used regular size muffin tins but will make jumbo muffins next time I make this recipe.

2. In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar, lemon zest and salt until light and fluffy.  Add in eggs one at at time. 

3. In a medium bowl combine 1 3/4 cup flour and baking powder.  Add to butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk.  Mix all together just until incorporated. 

4. Toss berries with remaining 1/4 cup flour in a medium bowl and then gently fold into batter.  Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. 

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool and serve.

Enjoy!


Dreaming of warm weather! :-)

Happy Buttermilk Berry Muffin Baking!


4 comments:

  1. This looks simply wonderful my friend! It made me warm and toasty just reading your post ;) Love ya friend - xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look amazing! I want one right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so tender.

    That's the beauty of food. It can transport you to wherever you want or need to be. But if you want warmth you can just come to Texas. It was 80 degrees today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the texture buttermilk brings to baked goods. These look so pretty with all those berries tucked throughout.

    (And since Monica's gone ahead and thrown out an invite for warm weather, I say we take her up on it! I would love an 80 degree day!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis