Lately I have been dreaming I warmer days. Days filled with beautiful sunshine hot enough to make us yearn for cool waters to play and swim in. Berry picking is another activity that I identify with warm and sunny days. Unfortunately right now here in Southern NH warm weather is far far away....well at least another 3 months away I should say. So in the meantime I have chosen to bake with berries. If I don't look outside (at the snow and ice) and just stay cozy in my kitchen (with my berries) warm weather is possible in my world.
I love how this recipe provided such yummy muffins. The texture was soft and almost cake like - many thanks to the buttermilk. The flavor of the berries along with the lemon zest gave off a delicious sweetness with just a touch of tartness from the lemon. The original recipe only called for blueberries but because I had some lovely raspberries frozen from last summers picking I decided to add those in too.....thus the "berry" muffins.
I consider buttermilk the magic of all recipes when part of the ingredient list as it adds such a perfect taste and texture to the recipe. Please don't let buttermilk intimidate you as it is made so easily with milk and a splash of lemon juice. Let those two characters sit together for a couple of minutes unstirred and viola you have buttermilk!
Buttermilk Berry Muffins
(recipe recipe slightly adapted from Warmth in the North)
1/2 cup unsalted butter - at room temp
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs - at room temp
2 cups flour - divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 heaping cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 heaping cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbsp sugar - for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. I used regular size muffin tins but will make jumbo muffins next time I make this recipe.
2. In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar, lemon zest and salt until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at at time.
3. In a medium bowl combine 1 3/4 cup flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Mix all together just until incorporated.
4. Toss berries with remaining 1/4 cup flour in a medium bowl and then gently fold into batter. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
Dreaming of warm weather! :-)
Happy Buttermilk Berry Muffin Baking!