Are you ready for a delicious bundt cake!? How about one that is jam packed with mini chocolate chips within a lovely vanilla cake and then topped off with a chocolate ganache, chopped almonds and mini marshmallows? This month the Bundt Bakers group that I am part of was given spectacular guidance by Laura of Baking in Pajamas to incorporate the flavors of "rocky road" into a bundt cake. Chocolate, marshmallows and chopped nuts are all ingredients that make up "rocky road". Dried fruit can also be featured in a "rocky road" combination, especially when found in treats made in England.
After much thought and exploring of different cakes and combos of the rocky road flavors I decided on a simple and decadent chocolate chip cake that is then drenched in chocolate ganache. On top of the chocolate ganache I sprinkled chopped almonds and soft mini marshmallows. All the flavors in an American version of rocky road. I did consider sprinkling some chopped dried apricots too over the ganache but unfortunately forgot all about it until the cake was half way gone. I love the idea of having dried fruit in a rocky road baked sweet. I think that would be delicious! Those bakers in England are smart cookies for sure!
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with a Rocky Road Frosting
(cake recipe found on Boston.com)
Cake Ingredients :
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
2 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/3 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet, milk chocolate or dark
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
Cake Directions -
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour bundt pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Pour mini chips into a separate bowl and toss with 2 Tbsps of flour mixture, coating chips well. Set aside both bowls.
In a large bowl beat butter until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in sugar in 3 additions, beating for 1 minute with each addition. Add in eggs and then yolk, one at time, beating well with each addition. Lastly, add in vanilla extract.
Put mixer on lowest speed and add into the wet mixture the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the with the 1/2 and 1/2, beginning and ending with the 1/2 and 1/2. Add in flour tossed chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
Pour cake batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean and the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan. Cool cake on a rack for at least 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
While cake is cooling, make frosting. Pour chocolate chips into a medium bowl that can be covered tightly with either a plate or tin foil. In a medium sauce pan, heat heavy cream over medium-low heat. Bring cream to a gentle simmer, remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips and DO NOT stir but rather cover bowl with a plate or aluminum foil and allow to sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes uncover bowl and gently whisk hot cream and chocolate chips together until all the chocolate has melted. Let mixture cool and thicken for at least 20-30 minutes before pouring over cake. Finally, sprinkle chopped nuts and then mini marshmallows over the chocolate drenched cake. Serve and enjoy!
Happy Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with a Rocky Road Topping Baking!
Please take a moment to browse through my fellow Bundt Bakers "rocky road" creations. All the links can be found below.
- Almond, Blueberry & White Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Elvis on a Rocky Road Bundt by It's Yummi
- Cheery cherry Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Our Good Life
- Biscof & Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Spiceroots
- Rocky Road Fudge Bundt Cake by La Cocina De Aisha
- Chocolate Toffee Rocky Road Bundt Cake by The Chef Next Door
- Cherry Chocolate Walnut Bundt with Marshmallow Glaze by Noshing with the Nolands
- Chocolate Chip Bundt with Rocky Road Topping by Baking & Creativing with Avril
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake with Marshmallow Glaze by Brooklyn Homemaker
- S'more Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Fantasy Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Kids and Chic
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Liv For Cake
- Nutty Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Marshmallow Drenched Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Culture Confusion Rocky Road Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Not Just For Ice Cream Rocky Road Bundt by Tea and Scones
- Toasted Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake by Eat, Drink and Be Mighty
- Brownies Style Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Rocky Road Bundt Cake with Marshmallow Filling by From Gate to Plate
- Blueberry Pecan Cocoa Ripple Cake by Magnolia Days
- Rum Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Adventures in All Things Food
- Mini Rocky Road Bundts with Marshmallow Frosting by Passion Kneaded
- Triple Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Simply Veggies
- Rock n' Roll Rocky Road by Living the Gourmet