Goodness I am so excited to share this month's recipe for Secret Recipe Club! I was granted the honor of being assigned the blog called, Fried Ice and Donut Holes for the month of October (such an fabulous name for a blog!). It truly was an honor and so much fun to browse through this blog. Please do hop on over to Fried Ice and Donut Holes and check out all the scrumptious recipes. You might want to take a peek at the Blueberry Biscuit Cobbler along with the Buffalo Chicken Shepard's Pie and then be sure to check out the Cashew Chicken recipe too! So many wonderful recipes. And yes of course I choose to pick a recipe that I could bake. You know the kind the has flour, sugar and butter in it. Yes, you know me well! Always baking over here! :-)
I have so many apples in my house that have to used before they get rotten so when I came upon the recipe for Appledoodles I jumped on it fast! I could make cookies and the cookies would be made with apples! Granted it was only two apples from my 20+ but still it was a win win situation as the cookies came out fabulous and I had two less apples in my pile of "must-use-soon-apples" before they turn mushy and rotten.
I loved everything about these cookies. The fact that they are a spin off of Snickerdoodle cookies caught my eye right away as I just adore Snickerdoodles! Adding in chopped apples to a favorite cookie was brilliant. The cinnamon sugar rolled cookies came alive with all things Fall and comforting when the apples were baked into these little gems. And since I had some peanut butter morsels just itching to be paired with the apples (because apples and peanut butter go together in my world) I threw in a couple handfuls to the cookie batter. Oh my, what delicious happiness found in a cookie!
(recipe from Fried Ice and Donut Holes)
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1-2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup peanut butter morsels (my addition)
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
1. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy - about 3-4 minutes. Add in eggs and beat to combine well.
3. In a medium bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and nutmeg (if you wish). Add to the wet mixture.
4. Gently fold in chopped apples and peanut butter morsels.
5. Form balls of the dough and roll carefully to coat in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place sugar rolled cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 14 minutes turning cookie sheet half way through baking time. Cookies will be golden on the edges and blond in the middle. Allow cookies to cool on sheets before removing. Cookies are stored best in an airtight container and will remain soft for about 3 days. Yum!