Coconut oil. Have you heard of it? Well, I have had my eye on it for a quite awhile now. I've seen it in the grocery store, in friend's pantries and even on-line. But it was only this past month that I finally became the proud owner of my very own bottle of coconut oil. Happiness! I'm in love. And honestly, I had no choice in the matter as I discovered a cookie recipe that I just had to make from the blog, Chocolate & Chilies that called for it in it's list of ingredients. Chocolate & Chilies has been my April blog assignment for the Secret Recipe Club. And what a deelight! Asiya has always been one of my favorite bloggers in the SRC as she is always so cheerful and kind. And yes, completely talented in the kitchen too!
I always love a challenge of trying something new and when it comes to baking of course any excuse to do so sends me in the right direction. Through my recent experience with trying out coconut oil for the first time via Asiya's recipe for Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies, I want to encourage all of you to do the same. Grab a bottle of it the next time you are at the grocery store or beg for some from a friend. Baking with coconut oil is a good thing. It's easy to use, healthy and yummy too.
These cookies were fabulous! Moist and with good flavor. They were perfectly paired with a hot cup of tea. Just a warning as the batter was a tiny bit dry. You will have to work a little bit to mold your cookies but a cookie scoop or your own two (clean) hands will do the trick just fine. And because I am such a big "coconut fan" I couldn't just stop at using coconut oil, I had to add in a 1/2 cup of shredded coconut to the batter as my own addition. This cookie recipe is so versatile that you could add in nuts or even raisins instead of the chocolate chips or shredded coconut oil.
Thank you, Asiya for such a lovely cookie recipe! I owe you big time! :-)
Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
(recipe found on Chocolate & Chilies)
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oats
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (my addition)
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk all together and then set aside.
3. Beat coconut oil on medium speed for 1 minute. Add in both sugars gradually and beat for a good 4 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla extract.
4. Slowly add in dry ingredients to the coconut oil/sugar/egg mixture. Mix just to combine all together. Batter will be a bit dry.
4. By hand stir in chocolate chips (and shredded coconut if you wish).
5. Scoop out dough with cookie scoop or two spoons to form into balls. Place on prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-11 minutes. Cookies will be light brown when done. Enjoy!
Happy Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie Baking!