2015 has officially arrived. With this arrival I feel that it is important to enter into the NEW year with a really good recipe for homemade, made from scratch, delicious bread. Who can't use such a thing? I guess those that are living a gluten free life-style might fall into such a category - but for those bakers and gluten eating people out there, this recipe that I share with you today will be greatly and fully appreciated.
It is a super simple recipe. It makes TWO large loaves and uses only 4 ingredients (yeast, flour, salt and water). And the best part is that it is mixed, risen, shaped, risen again, baked and placed into your mouth all within a 3-4 hour period of time. You really can't go wrong by making this recipe. It is completely the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. And yes, it does even slice well.
My family enjoyed it first straight out of the oven with a little smattering of salted butter along side a hot cup of tea. We then moved onto lightly toasting the bread and layering on butter and jam. Goodness was that just divine!
We also made big fat tuna melts on it and then delicious french toast. The french toast was my favorite if you were wondering. Although I do have to say that when I had the bread toasted and buttered it and then laid on some Bonne Maman mixed berry jam my heart did do a little pitter patter of happiness. It was just SO good.
So join me in my happiness over this Rrrrrustic Homemade Bread recipe and grab your yeast, flour, salt and water to mix up a beautiful dough. You can thank me later.
Rustic Homemade Bread
(recipe discovered on Somewhat Simple)
makes 2 large loaves
3 cups warm water (not too hot as you don't want to kill the yeast)
1 1/2 tablespoon yeast - I used fast-acting but regular is fine too
6 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
1. In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm water and gently stir. Let sit for 10 minutes so the yeast can really come alive and grow.
2. Add in flour and then salt to the yeast and water mixture. Stir all together until no remaining dry spots . Cover bowl with a clean dish towel and then place bowl in a draft-free location. All dough to rise for about 1-2 hours - it will double in size. My dough only took 1 hour to full rise - it all depends on how warm your home is.
3. Once dough has doubled in size divide in half and place each half on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper. Gently form into a nice rounded bread shape. Flouring your hands will help for this step. Cover your breads and allow to rise again - about 30-45 minutes. With a serrated knife cut three slits across each bread.....
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place parchment paper and bread dough onto an upside down cookie sheet or pizza stone and then pop into the oven. On the rack below the bread place a large roasting pan and fill with water about 1" high. The steam from this water will give your bread a lovely crusty crust. Yum! I baked the loaves of bread one at a time.
5. Bake bread for 24-28 minutes - until loaf of bread is a beautiful golden brown. Cool, slice and enjoy!
Happy Rustic Homemade Bread Baking!