Image Map

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Week Night Meal - Chicken with Balsamic Mushroom Sauce

I always enjoy finding a recipe that makes a quick and delicious meal for the middle of the week.  Something that doesn't take hours to make and without a lot of steps and a variety of simple ingredients.  Simple and yummy is the key here!  With that in mind I now present you with the first installment of "Week Night Meal".  It is my hope that at least once a week I will be able to share a quick yet tasty meal recipe that can be made in no more than an hour and served with happiness on your part.


No better way than to kick off this new category from Baking and Creating with Avril with a lovely chicken dish that is full of flavor, healthy and quick to make.

If YOU have a favorite "Week Night Meal" please do share with the link at the end of the post.   Be kind and link back to my blog along with leaving a direct link to your recipe.

Chicken with Balsamic Mushroom
Sauce
(recipe adapted from Home Sweet Farm)

Ingredients: 



* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
*2 Tbsp flour
*1/4 tsp salt
*2 tsp oil
*8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
*1/2 cup finely diced red onion
*1 cup chicken broth
*2 chopped or sliced cloves of garlic
*2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
*1/2 tsp thyme
*2 Tbsp butter
*FRESH parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
*cooked rice or pasta

Directions

1. Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness.  I like to put my chicken breasts in a galloon plastic baggie and bang them with a rolling pin - use the technique you like best to pound your chicken down.

2. Place flour and salt in a large baggie.  Add in chicken and toss to coat.

3. Heat oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat .  Add coated chicken.....



  Cook, turning once, until golden brown and meat is no longer pink in center - about 6 minutes on either side.  Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.

4. To the same pan/pot that chicken was cooked in add mushrooms, diced onion and garlic.....


Saute for 4 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove veggies to a bowl.

5. Put broth, balsamic vinegar and thyme in pan/pot.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat - simmer for 4 minutes to thicken slightly and blend the flavors together....


 Add mushroom mixture to liquid.  Stir in butter until melted. (I have double the original recipe for the sauce ingredients as I thought the sauce was so yummy that it deserved to be doubled).

6. Return cooked chicken to pan/pot and gently stir to cover with sauce and mushrooms....



  Cook just enough to heat chicken through.  Serve over rice or pasta with parmesan cheese.  YUM-O!


Happy Chicken with Balsamic Mushroom Sauce Cooking!

This post has been linked to ....


10 comments:

  1. This is one complete yummy meal! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avril, I LOVE mushrooms and balsamic vinegar combo! Great looking recipe. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds very flavorful and looks delicious, Avril!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great new category! You chicken dish looks wonderful, thanks so much for sharing! I love mushrooms and Parmesan with my chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like recipes using chicken...it's one of my favorite meats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not packed yet. I'll probably be doing laundry tomorrow night at midnight. ha ha!

    This looks delish! I am definitely going to make this one when I get back. I'm trying to not have to go to the grocery store and I need mushrooms, so it'll have to wait. We're having the tomato tart again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love mushrooms but The Hubble won't touch them. I will have to make this on one of his late nights. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Avril! I'm making chicken for dinner tonight, too, and I'll link up later today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks terrific Avril! We love us some mushrooms so, this is going to be served in the next few days. Just gotta grab some 'shrooms! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! Anything with mushrooms, I'm willing to try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis