Yum. Yum and MORE yum is all I can say about this AMAZING blueberry dessert. I highly recommend you take this recipe and run to the closest kitchen, put on your apron (if you like wearing one when you bake/cook), check your pantry and fridge for the ingredients needed (if necessary go to the store to get what you are missing and then make this recipe. You will NOT be disappointed
This delicious galette is filled with fresh blueberries - the original recipe (which I found at Simply Scratch) called for a mixture of fresh peaches and blueberries. You could use just peaches and omit the blueberries all together. The recipe leaves plenty of room for creativity with fruit for it's filling. The crust that surrounds the fruit is out of this world delicious! Tasty and very easily put together....especially if you use your food processor. I made my crust in the beginning of the day put it in the fridge to get nice and cold and then brought it out of the refrigerator as I prepared the fruit filling for the galette. You don't want to bring the pie crust out of the cold too long before you actually need it for then the butter in the crust will get warm and no longer provide a beautiful flakiness to your pie crust.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that warmed apricot or peach jam is gently brushed over the crust and fruit. The jam provides a lovely sweet flavor that enhances the fruit filling and it gives a beautiful "rustic" color to the galette as it bakes in the oven. That Laurie from Simply Scratch is one smart cookie adding this special touch to her recipe! :-)
Rustic Blueberry Galette
(recipe from Simply Scratch- a beautiful food blog...beautiful!)
Pie Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup AP flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks COLD unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk
3 Tbsp milk (original recipe calls for whole milk - I used 2%)
3 Tbsp peach or apricot preserves, warmed (which I warmed in the microwave in a microwave proof measuring cup for 30 seconds)
4 heaping cups of fresh blueberries (or you can use 3-4 cups sliced fresh peaches and 1 cup fresh blueberries)
2 heaping Tbsp AP flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 pinch of salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
Pie Crust Directions:
1. In a bowl of a food processor add the flour, sugar and salt - mix to combine.
2. Add in cold butter pieces and pulse until small pea size crumbles appear.
3. In a small bowl combine egg yolk and milk. Pour into food processor and pulse just until combined.
4. Take dough mixture out of food processor and put onto a piece of parchment paper. Form dough into a large disk, wrap parchment paper around it and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
Galette Filling Directions:
1. In a large bowl add fruit, flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg (if you choose to use it). Gently toss all together.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take your chilled pie crust out of fridge and carefully roll out into a 1/4" thickness of a circle - about 12" in diameter. Transfer rolled out dough onto a cookie sheet.
3. Pour fruit filling into center of pie crust....
....then carefully fold pie crust over fruit, pleating the crust as you go....
4. Warm jam on top of stove or in microwave. Brush heated jam over all of crust and then drizzle the remaining over fruit filling. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes - rotate pan half way through the baking time. Cool 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
I served my galette just as it was but next time I have promised myself to serve it with fresh sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yummy!
Happy Rustic Blueberry Galette Baking!