Pizza is so good. In our house we have it at least once a week...sometimes twice in a good week. So yes, I have special place in my heart (or should I say tummy?) for pizza. And as you all know very well by now I have a very special place in my soul for sweet baked treats. Combine the two together and you have a SWEET pizza pie....HEAVEN. A DEEP Dish Cookie Pizza - there is nothing wrong with that! Yup, a lovely sugar cookie crust which is topped with a sweetened cream cheese frosting and fresh colorful fruit for the very top = a cookie pizza.
Not only does this recipe feed a crowd but it is a dessert that is fun. Kiddos LOVE it and so do the grown-ups. A crowd pleaser of a dessert! :-)
DEEP Dish Cookie Pizza
(recipe from the Pioneer Woman - I am waiting on pins and needles for her NEW cookbook to show up on my front door!! Can't wait!!)
1 1/2 cups shortening (butter can be substituted...which is what I used - unsalted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 tsp whole milk (I used 2%)
4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
*2 jars (13 oz. each) marshmallow creme (I only used 1 jar)
*2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese - at room temperature (I only used 1 package)
A variety of FRESH fruit of your choice - berries, kiwi, pears, peaches, bananas
1. Cream together shortening (or butter) with sugar, orange zest, and vanilla extract for a couple of minutes until mixture is light and fluffy. Add in eggs and beat again until light and fluffy. Add in milk and mix.
2. Sift together dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture.
3. Remove cookie dough from bowl and slightly flatten between two sheets of waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
4. Press dough into cookie sheet that has a 2" deep rim. Or you can divide dough into 2 pieces and roll out into large circles and place in a pizza pan (I used one cookie sheet).
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cookie dough is cooked and is lightly browned but not overly crisp. Remove from oven and cool completely.
6. Make frosting while cookie sheet cools. *Combine marshmallow creme and softened cream cheese - beat until light and fluffy. I only used 1 jar of marshmallow creme and 1 package of cream cheese for my frosting - which gave me plenty to cover my cookie crust with some left over.
7. Spread frosting over cookie crust and then generously decorate with sliced fruit of your choice. Slice into wedges or squares.
Happy DEEP Dish Cookie Pizza Baking!