12 weeks until Christmas friends. Yup, I am NOT kidding. But not to worry because I have your back. Help is right here for all your baking, treat making, homemade gift ideas needs. For the next 3 months, one a week you will be handed a variety of amazing and totally delicious recipes and ideas to help you figure out the best of the best for holiday treats. Yours truly along with a spectacular group of many talented food bloggers will provide you with a plethora of such resources once a week for the next 12 weeks. So sit back, relax and be ready to drool. :-)
Speaking of drooling happiness how about a fabulous cheesecake recipe? You know the kind with apples, cinnamon and sugary goodness all on top? Ahhh yes, an Apple Pie Cheesecake. Heaven in a springform pan. HEAVEN.
What could be better than a cookie crust that surrounds a silky cheesecake filling and then topped off with slices of cinnamon sugary dusted apples? The perfect dessert for a special holiday party or even given as a gift to a special friend. This cheesecake could easily be made for Thanksgiving, Christmas or even New Year's. A delicious dessert that is easy to make and makes everyone fall over backwards for seconds.
The crust is easily adaptable to your preference. If you don't wish to use the crust recipe I have to share you can make a graham cracker or even a ginger cookie crust. Apples go well with a variety of flavors. I jazzed up the apple layer of the cheesecake by drizzling it with a lovely homemade caramel sauce.
Apple Pie Cheesecake
(recipe discovered from Dinner with Julie)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk (reserve egg white for later)
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2 8oz. packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Apple topping ingredients:
2 large apples (I used Cortland) - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Butter or grease 9" springform pan and set aside.
2. Prepare crust by combining all crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well all together with a fork or pastry cutter. Ingredients will be appear as big soft crumbs. Press mixture into prepared springform pan on bottom and up sides.
3. Prepare filling by beating cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and lump-free. Add in eggs, one at a time and then reserved egg white and vanilla extract. Pour filling into prepared crust. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Prepare apple topping by combining sliced apples, sugar and cinnamon - toss gently so that sugar and cinnamon coat apples. Arrange sugary-cinnamon apple slices over cheesecake filling to cover completely.
5. Bake cheesecake for 12 minutes at 400 degrees F. and then reduce to 375 to continue baking for another 30-35 minutes. Cheesecake will be puffed and lightly browned but slightly jiggly in center when done. Turn off oven and open door slightly to allow cheesecake to cool for a good 45-60 minutes. Then take out of oven and cool further to room temperature. Refrigerate over night before serving.
Serve with a lovely drizzling of your favorite caramel sauce or freshly whipped cream. A delight of a dessert! Enjoy!
Happy Apple Pie Cheesecake Baking!