Although I am on the verge of all things apple and pumpkin in my baking world I want to continue celebrating Summer by offering a perfect PEACH of a recipe. Easy, beautiful, completely delicious and packed with peaches!
You start with a lovely crust made in a food processor (or a pastry cutter - either one is fine). And then keep in mind the word, "COLD". The butter you use should be COLD and then the prepared pastry should be kept COLD in the refrigerator while you make the crumble topping. A perfect crust comes from all things COLD.
Beautiful peaches are sprinkled with a crumbled topping allowing for the perfect sweetness to top off the tart. Ahhhh, the magic of peaches. Grab a hold of the last couple moments that Summer still suggests and make this rustic tart. It will be well worth it. I promise.
Rustic Peach Crumble Tart
(recipe from Farm Flavor)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, COLD and diced
1/4 cup ice water
Filling and Crumble Ingredients:
4 cups sliced and peeled FRESH peaches
1/4 cup sugar (white or brown is fine)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp tapioca (flour will work fine if you don't have tapioca)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, COLD and diced
1. Make pastry by placing DRY pastry ingredients into food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a couple of times to combine together.
2. Add in COLD diced butter and pulse 12-15 times or until butter is the size of peas. Add in iced water through the feed tube as the food processor is on. Pulse several times - stop just before dough comes together.
3. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at lease 1 hour.
4. Make crumble topping by adding 1/4 sugar, flour, tapioca, salt and cinnamon into bowl of food processor. Pulse a couple of times to combine ingredients.
5. Add in COLD butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Keep crumble topping in refrigerator until needed to sprinkle over peaches.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Roll out COLD pastry dough into approximately an 11-inch circle onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Transfer onto cookie sheet.
7. Cover dough with peaches, leaving about a 1 1/2 -inch border.Sprinkle crumbled topping over peaches. Gently fold the pastry border over the peaches, pleating to make a circle.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and peaches are tender. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Happy Rustic Peach Tart with Crumble Topping Baking!