Nutella. Caramel. Tender crust with a crumbly topping. Have I got your attention? How about putting all THREE of these together to make one lovely decadent bar? I say YES! AND completely brrrrrrilliant. That's what you get when you stop over at the Fearless Homemaker's blog by the adorable, Amy. You can find amazing recipes such as these Caramel Nutella Crumb Bars that feed your visual taste buds to the highest degree in such a strong way that you have no choice but to grab your apron and dive into your kitchen to whip up such a treat.
I have already been a faithful "stalker" to Amy's blog now for quite a while as I discovered her blog through the Secret Recipe Club. This month I had the complete honor of being assigned to her blog for February's Secret Recipe Club to actually pick a recipe and make it to share with all of you. What fun! I wanted to make every single bar, cake, soup and bread recipe on the Fearless Homemaker! Unfortunately, between working full time, raising two young kiddos and having laundry that really needed to be done I could only make one recipe. My sweet tooth won over (yet again) and I choose to make the Caramel Nutella Crumb Bars. Sweet, sweet HEAVEN in a bar I am telling you. Simple ingredients, quick assembly and delicious outcome. What could be better? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So grab your butter, your Nutella and a can of sweetened condensed milk and mix up a batch of these bars ASAP. It will be well worth it. And then cruise on over to visit Amy at the Fearless Homemaker to say hi and grab a few more recipes from her fabulous, treasure of a blog!
Caramel Nutella Crumb Bars
(recipe from the Fearless Homemaker)
Crust and Topping Ingredients -
2 Sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
Filling Ingredients -
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cream together 2 sticks of butter, granulated sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract. Slowly add in 2 1/4 cups flour until dough is smooth and flour is fully incorporated.
3. Press 3/4 dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Place into refrigerator while you make the filling and crumb topping of the bars.
4. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour to the dough. The dough will become crumbly and coarse. Be careful not to over mix the dough at this point. Set crumble topping aside.
5. Spread 1/2 cup nutella evenly over chilled crust. If need be heat nutella slightly to allow for easier spreading.
6. To make the filling use a medium size saucepan to combine 4 Tbsp butter, corn syrup, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk. Heat saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally until mixture comes to a simmer. Now bring mixture to a boil and whisk constantly for about 10 minutes so that it thickens in texture and darkens in color. Remove from heat once you have a darkened and thickened sauce and cool for about 6-10 minutes. Pour caramel sauce over nutella layer and then sprinkle crumble topping over the caramel layer.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is a dark caramel color and bubbling lightly. Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares. Share and enjoy! :-)
Happy Caramel Nutella Crumb Bars Baking!