Image Map

Monday, August 3, 2015

Blueberry Shortbread Tart (SRC)

Each month for the Secret Recipe Club I get giddy with excitement.  This excitement is over discovering a wonderful food blog and recipe from said blog that I have been assigned to for the month, through the SRC.  Excitement over such a thing may sound silly, but seriously, it is the God honest truth.  This feeling is similar (I suppose) to discovering a chest of gold at the end of a treasure hunt.  As soon as my monthly SRC assignment comes to me via email, the hunt begins.  I use caution, diligence and great care as I search for that perfect gem of a recipe on my assigned food blog that gives my baking heart an extra beat in its rhythm and happiness in it's song. 




This month I am beyond delighted, beyond excited, and just plain old jumping up and down with happiness to share the recipe that I picked from Mother Would Know.  A recipe for,  Blueberry Shortbread Tart (also called Shortbread Tart with Jam).  Simple, delicious and amazing.  Really, really amazing.  Uniquely amazing at that.  I state this fact of "unique amazing-ness" because the shortbread crust is actually grated, that is right, GRATED, not rolled, but GRATED into the tart pan. Once the crust has been made it is then wrapped carefully in plastic wrap and then frozen in the freezer.  Then after it is fully frozen,  it is then GRATED into the precious tart pan (a pie plate or 9x13 baking pan can also be used), gently patted down into place and then layered with a fruit jam of your choice.  I chose blueberry as that is the fruit that my world revolves around at the moment.  Any kind of jam can be used.  Home made, store bought, whatever floats your boat. 


The best part of this treasure of a tart is that the list of ingredients can be counted on your two hands and the steps are as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make it.  I am a busy lady so discovering quick, easy and scrumptious recipes are definite keepers in my world.  I was able to whip up the shortbread, wrap it up tightly,  place it in the freezer, wrap up a shower gift, do both my girls hair and even change my outfit within a 20 minute period of time today.  Then, 4 hours later I completed the tart within just 15 minutes and popped it into the oven.  For me, baking often gets squeezed into the small gaps of free time.  This tart is the perfect example of such a need. 



Laura, who is the creative master behind, Mother Would Know, has a fantastic flare for collecting, producing and guiding her readers through her vast amount of delicious recipes.  If you like this recipe I am sharing today with you, just you wait as Laura's whole blog has recipes, one after the other, that are mouth watering, unique, beautiful and enticing.  I love the beautiful pictures she uses along with well written language and descriptions that go hand in hand with all of her recipes.  Provencal Vegetable Soup Au Pistou , Balsamic Blueberry Blast, Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes are just a few of the recipes I plan to make from Laura's collection in the near future. 


Huge hugs of gratitude to Laura for "welcoming" me into her lovely food corner of her world!  I feel honored and completely delighted to now have this precious recipe for Blueberry Shortbread Tart and I look forward to collecting many more treasures from Mother Would Know in the future. :-) 

Blueberry Shortbread Tart
(recipe discovered on Mother Would Know)

Ingredients:
2 sticks, unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup jam of your chose
1/2 cup fruit (to match jam flavor) - my addition 

Directions:

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking  powder and salt.  Set aside.

Beat butter until light and fluffy.  Add in sugar and beat for a good 2 minutes to incorporate well into the butter.  Add in egg yolks - beat to combine.  Slowly beat in flour mixture - mix until just incorporated.  

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least 2 hours - until dough is completely frozen. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Using a hand grater, grate 1/2 of dough into a tart pan, pie plate or baking dish of your choice.  With your fingers, gently guide grated dough evenly all around your pan.  Tap down slightly.  Place remaining dough in freezer while you spread jam over crust.  Layer with fresh fruit and then grate remaining dough over the jam/fruit layer. 

Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Watch carefully so that edges of tart do not burn.  I used a pie shield (as did Laura) to help keep the edges from NOT burning. 





Remove tart from oven when it becomes fragrant and golden brown.  Cool tart for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.  Enjoy!! 




Happy Blueberry Shortbread Tart Baking!

 


13 comments:

  1. Pretty! I don't have a tart pan like yours, but this recipe might be worth investing in one :) Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Sarah! - a regular pie plate would work fine or even a 9x13 baking pan. :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty tart! And I love that the crust was grated into the tart pan. Pinning this so I can remember to try that little trick. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely make this tart Leslie! It will be well worth it I can promise you that! :-)

      Delete
  3. You had me at the word shortbread Avril - just gorgeous!

    Thank you for the inspiration this month as I had your blog and had a ball wandering around it. I just loved the soup I made and have in fact made it again since I took the photos for the post. Delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a beautiful, beautiful blog post! The soup you created from my recipe was simply GORGEOUS! :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, that looks amazing! Absolutely amazing. I especially love that you say it's easy. I am definitely going to have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so EASY Anna! Definitely make this tart! :-)

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing and has me drooling! yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle for your kind words! :-)

      Delete
  6. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. this is often truly an excellent read on behalf of me . I even have bookmarked it and that i am looking forward to reading new articles. continue the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. สล็อต PGSLOTแตกง่าย เล่นง่ายได้เงินจริงผู้ให้บริการเกมสล็อต pg slot ออนไลน์บนโทรศัพท์เคลื่อนที่ที่มีเกมนานาประการให้เลือก เป็นเกมรูปแบบใหม่ที่ทำเงินให้ผู้เล่นได้เงินจริง 

    ReplyDelete
  8. riches888 pgslot ในประเทศไทย แพลตฟอร์มเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ที่ให้ความตื่นเต้นและผลตอบแทนที่เหนือชั้น PG SLOT เรียนรู้เกี่ยวกับความสลับซับซ้อน

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis