Asparagus is yet another "food" that I consider related to the season of Spring (along with strawberries and rhubarb of course). I came across this recipe last week and I literally jumped for joy for it was delightfully easy to make and extremely delicious!!!! I made it for lunch paired with a fresh green salad. It could also be made as an appetizer cut up in small pieces.
Perfect. Statisfying. Simple. Delish.
Spring Asparagus, Parmesan and Gruyere Tart
(recipe originated from What's Gabby Cooking blog)
1 sheet of Puff Pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm)
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Thaw out 1 sheet of puff pastry (p.p.) - this took me about 40 minutes....I just left the p.p. on the counter top and I grated the cheeses and prepped the asparagus.
3. Place puff pastry on a baking sheet that is lightly greased or lined with parchement paper. Gently pinch the scored lines of the p.p. so that no serations remain.
4. Sprinkle half the cheeses onto the p.p. leaving about an inch of a border all around the sheet.
5. Line with asparagus on top of the cheese. Scatter the rest of the cheese on top of the asparagus and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
(see picture below)
6. Bake for 20 minuted or until the p.p. has puffed and the asparagus is roasted and cooked through.
7. Cool for a couple minutes and then cut into desired pieces.
The best part of this tart is that is can be altered into many different kinds of savory/SIMPLE tarts. You could do a fresh tomato,basil and mozzarella tart for example or a mushroom, onion and cheddar tart. Puff pastry is so versatile and "user friendly".
Happy Spring Asparagus, Parmesan and Gruyere Tart making!