Image Map

Friday, April 23, 2010

Strawberry Coffee Cake on a "Fruity Friday"


Welcome to "Fruity Friday"!!!

Yes, I am going to try my hardest and post a recipe containing some type of fruit every Friday.  I kind of like that catchy phrase "Fruity Friday"!! - don't you?

To kick off "Fruity Friday" I am going to post a recipe that includes strawberries.

 Red juicy SWEET strawberries.  Nothing better!!! - well, maybe except for cherries....in my book at least. :-)

I love it when I come across a recipe that I know I will make over and over again in my life-time.  It's usually a recipe that is easy to make, that tastes yummy (of course!), that has aesthetic appeal (it's always important for me to make something that offers pleasure to the eyes along with the taste buds in my book) and that uses an ingredient that is close to my heart (such as strawberries).  All I can say, is that this recipe that I am about to share with you today is definitely going to be one that I make over and over and over again in my life-time.  That I can guarantee.  I'm pretty sure you will feel the same once you make it yourself. 

Ready?  Get set!  Let's do it!!!!

Strawberry Coffee Cake
(recipe from Joy the Baker)

Ingredients:

Topping

3 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup flour

3 1/2 tbsp sugar

Strawberry Sauce

1 heaping cup of sliced strawberries (I actually used 1 1/2 cups)

1/3 cup sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch

2 tsp water

Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

8 oz. sour cream (I have used regular and light...both work just fine)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp almond extract

Directions:

1. Make your topping.


2. Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl.  Blend together with a pastry blender (I LOVE this tool in my kitchen....if you don't have one, do yourself a favor get one ASAP) or your fingers until crumbly. (see picture below) Set bowl aside.


3. Make strawberry sauce.




4. Combine all strawberry sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan.  Cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened and the strawberries are soft and somewhat broken down. Set aside to cool.



5. Grease a 9x9 or 10x10 baking pan.  Set aside.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.




6. Beat together 1 stick of softened butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add in vanilla and almond extract.

7. Sift dry ingredients together.  Add to creamed mixture in 3 parts alternating with the sour cream in 2 parts - beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Beat until just combined.




8. Spoon 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan.  Spread with cooled strawberry sauce. 

9. Spoon remaining batter over strawberry layer and spread evenly.  Top with crumbled topping.



10. Bake at 350* for 50-60 minutes - until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.


Cool a little bit and cut to your liking.  It's sooooo yummy warm.......



Happy Fruity Friday to ALL!!!
~avril :-)


*This post has been linked to....

6 comments:

  1. OH YUMMY!!!! I wish I had enough flour so I could get right out of bed and make it for breakfast ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm! This is going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful and I love how many photos you took of the process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so yummy!!!
    Thanks for sharing and linking up to I'm Lovin' It!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruity Friday- what a cute idea! This cake looks delicious. Can't wait for our local farmers market to open up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy strawberries. Great looking cake.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis