Picking berries - any kind....strawberries, blueberries and yes, even raspberries (even though I associate them with getting stung by bees as a young child...go figure!) is one of my most favorite favorite things to do in life. So with the NH season of berry picking quickly upon us I am getting seriously excited! Seriously excited!
In the meantime, as I patiently wait for FRESH berries picked by my own hands I will share with you a delightful recipe for JUMBO Streusel-Topped Raspberry Muffins using frozen raspberries (of course FRESH are just as good too).
JUMBO Streusel-Topped Raspberry Muffins
(recipe has been adapted from the cookbook, Made Simple Baking)
2 1/4 cup flour, divided
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel (more if you wish a stronger lemon taste)
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp milk
1/3 cup butter, melted (5 1/3 Tbsp of butter)
1 egg, beaten
2 cups FRESH or frozen raspberries (DO NOT THAW)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line your JUMBO muffin tins.
"JUMBO" muffin liners do exsist as seen from this previous post of mine.
2. Make Streusel-Topping by combining 1/4 cup flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
3. Reserve 1/4 cup flour from the remaining 2 cups of flour. Combine the remaining 1 3/4 cup flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and lemon peel in a medium bowl.
4. Combine milk, melted butter and egg in a small bowl.
5. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture; stir just until almost combined. Toss raspberries with reserved flour just to coat....
....and then ever so gently fold berries into muffin batter....
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin - filling 3/4's full. Sprinkle with Streusel-Topping...
....and then bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2 minutes; remove to cool further out of pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
* If you wish drizzle with a little glaze of confectionary sugar, vanilla extract and milk....yummy!
OR even better, have a birthday party for a favorite stuffed animal! Just pop in some candles into the muffins and viola you have the perfect bday treat for ALL!
Happy JUMBO Streusel-Topped Raspberry Muffin Baking!
This recipe has been linked to....