Sending all of you a VERY Merry Christmas and a Happy, Happy New Year as I burst at the seams with only 3 weeks (approximately :-) left of my pregnancy. I wishing each and everyone of you a joyous and happy New Year too! Again, my cup runith over with gratitude and happiness for all that I have gained and experienced this past year in my daily life adventures outside of this blog and "inside" of it too. I truly feel blessed and honored to be so fortunate with such a wonderfully full life.
Speaking of "full" I have a lovely cake FULL of flavor that I made through
The Cake Slice Baker's group last week.
Lauren Chattman author and creator of Cake Keeper Cakes gives this cake a very simple title of, Cranberry Cake but I think it should be called, Fabulous Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake. I state this because this cake is amazing in all its simple glory of having fresh cranberries surrounded by a moist and sweet cake that is finished off by a delightfully crunchy almond topping.....reminding me of a coffee cake rather than just a simple cake. It could be eaten for breakfast, at tea time and even as a wonderful dessert after dinner. And it is super, super easy to put together. In fifteen minutes flat I had the cake stirred up and placed in the oven baking away happily. The hardest part was waiting for it to be done. It does take a good hour for this treasure to bake. I learned from the other talented ladies in the TCSB's group that the oven temp of the original recipe actually needed to be increased to 325 as 300 took forever for it to fully bake the cake. Even at 325 I still had to bake the cake longer than I anticipated. The middle of the cake just needed that extra time to fully bake.
That being said all you need is a bag of FRESH cranberries, regular ingredients in your pantry and some good ole fashioned "patience" to allow the cake to bake to its fullest. You will then have a master piece of a festive cake that will bring happiness and YUMMINESS to many. Bake and share this cake ASAP!
Cranberry Cake (also known to me as Fabulous Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake)
(recipe from Cake Keepers Cakes by Lauren Chattman)
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
1 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 cup sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 bag (12 oz) FRESH cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 10" round springform pan.
2. Combine sliced almonds, melted butter and 2 Tbsp's brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix all together and then refrigerate until ready to use.
1. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt...whisk all together.
2. In a large bowl combine eggs and sugar - beat with an electric mixer on medium-high heat for a good 5 minutes. Mixture will become light and fluffy and increased in volume.
3. Turn mixer down to low and slowly add in melted and cooled (1 1/2 sticks) of butter. Turn mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add in vanilla extract at the end of 2 minutes.
4. Gently mix in flour - 1/2 cup at a time. Then stir in FRESH cranberries.
5. Pour batter into prepared springform pan. Smooth top of cake with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle cake with Streusel Topping prepared previously.
6. Bake cake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cake will be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean when cake is done. If you feel like your cake is getting too brown too fast yet needs more time to bake cover with tin foil as it completes it's baking time.
7. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then release sides of the springform pan. Cool completely, cut into slices and serve.
Happiness with FRESH cranberries will be enjoyed by all!
Happy Cranberry Cake Baking!