There are lots of SIMPLE things in life that make me happy. Getting a smile from a stranger, seeing the first green leaves of Spring show their faces on the trees and bushes, the smell of coffee, babies hands and feet, hearing a song that reminds me of a special moment/experience/adventure along with knowing what I am going to make for dinner (I hate that struggle of figuring out what's for dinner!!!) are ALL examples of SIMPLE things that make me happy. What SIMPLE things make you happy?
On the subject of SIMPLE and DINNER I have a wonderfully EASY pasta dish that I'd like to share with you. I have been seeing this meal on many of my blogger friends "Monthly Menus" (if only I could get my act together to do such a "Monthly Menu"!) and I took it as a sign that I just had to make it. Yes, I had to try out Pasta Carbonara.....and boy, was I NOT disappointed! Soooo yummy and soooo easy to put together! When you throw pasta, cheese and bacon all in one dish how can it NOT be good! ;-)
(recipe can also be found on Mommy's Kitchen )
1 (16oz) box spaghetti of your choice (regular, thin or angel are all great)
2 Tbsp olive oil, separated
8 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
1/8-1/4 cup white wine (optional)
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp's heavy cream or milk
1/2 cup grated parm cheese
1/2 cup pasta water
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp's chopped parsley (fresh or dry)
extra parm cheese for garnish
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Cook until pasta is al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and then drain pasta. Set aside after you toss with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
2. Cook chopped bacon in a large skillet or dutch oven until slightly crisp. Remove bacon onto paper towels. Set cooked bacon aside. Reserve 2 Tbsp's bacon fat. Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to bacon fat and cook chopped onion.
3. Add minced/chopped garlic to onion once onion is translucent. Cook for 1 minute together then add wine if desired. Cook an additional 1 minute with wine.
4. Return bacon to pan and cooked spaghetti. Toss to coat and heat through. Add in reserved pasta water if need be. Additional olive oil can also be added if pasta seems to stick together too much.
5. Mix together beaten eggs, cream and parm cheese and then add to pasta/bacon mixture. Take pasta dish off of heat.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with chopped parsley and grated parm cheese. Yum!!
Happy Pasta Carbonara Making!