Image Map

Friday, January 7, 2011

Simple Pasta Happiness - Pasta Carbonara

There are lots of SIMPLE things in life that make me happy.  Getting a smile from a stranger, seeing the first green leaves of Spring show their faces on the trees and bushes, the smell of coffee, babies hands and feet, hearing a song that reminds me of a special moment/experience/adventure along with knowing what I am going to make for dinner (I hate that struggle of figuring out what's for dinner!!!) are ALL examples of SIMPLE things that make me happy.  What SIMPLE things make you happy?

On the subject of SIMPLE and DINNER I have a wonderfully EASY pasta dish that I'd like to share with you.  I have been seeing this meal on many of my blogger friends "Monthly Menus" (if only I could get my act together to do such a "Monthly Menu"!) and I took it as a sign that I just had to make it.  Yes, I had to try out Pasta Carbonara.....and boy, was I NOT disappointed!  Soooo yummy and soooo easy to put together!  When you throw pasta, cheese and bacon all in one dish how can it NOT be good! ;-)


Pasta Carbonara
(recipe can also be found on Mommy's Kitchen )

Ingredients:

1 (16oz) box spaghetti of your choice (regular, thin or angel are all great)

2 Tbsp olive oil, separated

8 slices bacon, chopped

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed or minced

1/8-1/4 cup white wine (optional)

2 eggs, beaten

2 Tbsp's heavy cream or milk

1/2 cup grated parm cheese

1/2 cup pasta water

salt and pepper to taste

2 Tbsp's chopped parsley (fresh or dry)

extra parm cheese for garnish

Directions:

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water.  Cook until pasta is al dente.  Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and then drain pasta.  Set aside after you toss with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.

2. Cook chopped bacon in a large skillet or dutch oven until slightly crisp.  Remove bacon onto paper towels.  Set cooked bacon aside.  Reserve 2 Tbsp's bacon fat.  Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to bacon fat and cook chopped onion.

3. Add minced/chopped garlic to onion once onion is translucent.  Cook for 1 minute together then add wine if desired.  Cook an additional 1 minute with wine.

4. Return bacon to pan and cooked spaghetti.  Toss to coat and heat through.  Add in reserved pasta water if need be.  Additional olive oil can also be added if pasta seems to stick together too much.

5. Mix together beaten eggs, cream and parm cheese and then add to pasta/bacon mixture. Take pasta dish off of heat.

6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately with chopped parsley and grated parm cheese.  Yum!!



Happy Pasta Carbonara Making!









26 comments:

  1. Love this pasta dish, I am sure it is the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUM! My favorite things...bacon, cream, butter and cheese!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you go wrong with bacon, wine and cream? Looks delicious -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avril, I'm amazed by you! It's only a week away to your bundle of joy and you are still in the kitchen with more yummies! It's great that you are up to your toes and 'running', so unlike me, I have very small appetite for both my pregnancies! Take care! And am bookmarking this, sounds really delicious. Bacon, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another favorite! A recipe easy enough to teach my teen. Hang in there Avril and take care:)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved going thru ur wonderful blog ...

    - Smita
    www.littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
    (fun food ideas for little ones )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree this sounds like incredible comfort food. Perfect for my family!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookmarked and heavy cream is on my grocery list. Looks delicious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks GREAT my friend! Now stop blogging and go birth that baby...and then come visit...I need a baby fix, ASAP! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Avril!! Long time no see! I picked a great post to come back to. I love the ease of pasta and this one certainly look delish and easy. (btw, I wish I could get my act together and plan our monthly meals!!! I hate trying to figure out what to make each evening!) I'll be making this sometime this week.

    Thank you for the nuts. I got them sometime last week and we've been munching on them ever since!

    I'm a little late but I hope the holidays and New Year were good ones!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've actually been craving carbonara for a while now!! Simple pasta dishes are the best kind:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only one thing to say about this - YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't that pasta just the best. Bacon, Pasta and Cheese. Pure heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple is a good thing when your baby is due in less than a week- oh my goodness!

    BTW, I think it's cute you and Mommy's Kitchen served it in similar bowls :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds wonderful! I will definitely have to try this with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't had this in years, yours is beautifully tempting!
    Are you pregnant? I see your growth thingy says 6 days to go :))) Congrats!
    I am in Claremont, not too far at ll from Keene, great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, just 6 days to go!! Like Joy said, I'm so impressed you're still in the kitchen cooking and finding time to blog. I've never made pasta carbonara but it's one of those dishes I've always wanted to. Cream, cheese and bacon? How can it not be delicious. Good luck, we'll all be waiting to hear the news.... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. anything with bacon somehow has to be fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds DELICIOUS, Avril! Good luck with your labor!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always wanted to make this and just haven't gotten around to it--it looks incredibly good! And so simple, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. And 3 days to go for baby? Oh my gosh, best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's amazing how the simple things in life are sometimes the best and you've shown that with your pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey April!
    Just checking in. Hope all is well in the baby department. I am sure we will have some news soon :)
    Take care,
    mickey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis