Oh yeah.....this is a goooooood cake. Yummy. In. My. Tummy!!!!!! (even for those that don't drink coffee on a daily basis will LOVE this cake). I made this cake for my dear MIL's Birthday and we ALL thoroughly enjoyed it. Even Jeff who doesn't even touch coffee to drink it.
(adapted from the Pioneer Woman)
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
3 tbsp instant coffee crystals
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 whole eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
2 tbsp instant coffee crystals
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp heavy cream, light cream, half and half or milk (I used milk)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 round baking pans.
2. In a large bowl mix sugar, flour and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
3. Melt 2 sticks butter in a pot over medium heat. While butter is melting add 3 tbsp of instant coffee to 1 cup boiling water. Once butter has melted, add coffee mixture to the pot. Let it come to a boil for about 10 seconds, then turn off the heat and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla all together. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour butter/coffe mixture into the flour mixture. Stir all together gently. The purpose here isn't to mix it together perfectly but rather to cool down the heat of the butter/coffee mixture before adding all of it to the egg mixture.
6. Add in the egg mixture now and gently stir untl well combined. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until set. Allow to cool completely (I cooled mine overnight before I frosted the cake).
7. Combine ALL icing ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy. Ice cake. Chill until served.
Happy Coffee Cake (litterally!!) Baking!