Oh yes, it's that time of year again....BBQ time!!! The weather is getting nicer, the sun is getting warmer and yes, the days are getting LONGER which all leads to cook-outs with friends and family! :-)
This past weekend we went to our first BBQ and I thought it would be appropriate to bring along a batch of S'mores Brownies for this special event. Boy, was I right! These brownies were scummmmmmptiously delish...no doubt about it. Easy, quick and fun to make with kiddos too. Jolie almost feel over backwards with happiness as she helped me plop on the BIG puffy marshmallows on top of the brownie batter. Crushed graham crackers are mixed into the batter to really make it a "S'more" kind of brownie.
(recipe has been adapted from one of my favs, Joy the Baker)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
5 large eggs
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup graham crackers, roughly crushed with your hands
12 (or so) BIG marshmallows (*I also cut up a few additional marshmallows and stirred them into the batter at the very end)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 baking pan.
2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Place butter and chocolate in a bowl that can be set over simmering water in a heavy saucepan. Stir chocolate and butter in this "double boiler" until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
4. Beat eggs, sugars and vanilla in a large bowl to blend. Stir in melted chocolate/butter mixture, then the dry ingredients. Gently fold in crushed graham crackers. *If you wish to add in extra cut up marshmallows now is the time. Pour batter into prepared pan. Dot batter with LARGE marshmallows (I kind of gently pushed the m's down into the batter so that they couldn't escape during baking - :-)
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes. You do NOT want to over-bake these brownies. Only bake until batter comes away from the sides of pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
6. Cool at least 20 minutes before you cut into squares and serve.
Look at the yumminess of these brownies just after they come out of the oven.....marshmallows will be browned and puffy. Unfortunately the marshmallows deflate as the brownies cool.
A scoop of good vanilla ice cream served on the side is just perfect with this sweet.
Store any left-over brownies in an air tight container.
Here is cutie-pie Liza taking a bite of the brownie....see how it just ooooozies with yumminess?!?!
Happy S'mores Brownies Baking!
**This post has been linked to I Heart Naptime with Chocolate Sundaes blog - a super cute blog!!!