Image Map

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's a....Honey (of a) Cake!


Want a recipe for an ooey gooey yummy in the tummy cake that can be served morning, noon or night?  Well, here you go! You are going to love it!  The cake is a lovely light yellow cake that has a such of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar running through the center of it and then topped off with a thin layer of glaze that just soaks right into the cake.  Delicious.

Honey Cake
(recipe discovered from the cookbook - Sweets - Boy, those Southerner's know how to bake!)


Cake Ingredients:

1 (18.5 oz) box yellow cake mix

3/4 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup *honey

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/8 tsp ground cloves

Vanilla Glaze Ingredients:


2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted

4 Tbsp milk, or more as needed

1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Cake Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Combine cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs and sour cream in a large mixing bowl....



....mix until majority of large lumps in the batter are gone. And then gently stir in the honey...



*I found that by using the 1/4 cup that I had previously measured out my veggie oil in was perfect for measuring out my 1/4 cup worth of honey - it just slid on out of the cup with no mess or extra help from a spatula.

2. Pour half of the batter into an un-greased (YES, I said un-greased) 9x13 glass cake pan and set aside....

3. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and blend well.  Sprinkle onto the cake batter in pan....



 and then spoon or pour remaining batter on top of brown sugar/spice mixture....



4. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is golden brown.  Cool cake on a wire rack.  Let the cake stand for 10 minutes while you make the Vanilla Glaze.

Vanilla Glaze Directions:

1. Sift confectioner's sugar....




 then combine with milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl.  Whisk the ingredients until smooth - glaze should be thin enough to drizzle from a spoon....if not thin enough add another tablespoon or two of milk to get the correct consistency.

2. Drizzle all over warm cake.  Make sure you get the edges too!



Serve warm or at room temperature.

Once you cut into the cake you will see the lovely yumminess of the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves mixture in between the soft layers of cake.....Heaven.  Pure, yummy Heaven.



Happy Honey Cake Baking!



3 comments:

  1. Want want want!!! I want some! What a great looking cake. I love cakes with glazes, they're always super moist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious and I wish I had a slice right now. I just found your blog and know I will be returning as I see many great recipes here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! This recipe looks so delicious. I am putting it on my must make list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis