Man this cake GOOD! Once again the lovely, ever-so-creative Pioneer Woman has provided me with an amazing recipe.....Strawberry Shortcake Cake. It's literally just like a tender but dense biscuit with strawberries and fluffy cream all over it except in a beautiful cake form. A wonderful cake to make for a birthday and oh so easy to make!
Strawberry Shortcake Cake
(created by the fabulous Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman)
1 1/2 cups flour
3 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
9 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 whole large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature (I used strawberry yogurt b/c I didn't have any sour cream on hand)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
2 sticks unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
1 lb strawberries
6 Tbsp sugar
1. Make the cake....sift together flour, salt, baking soda and corn starch - set aside.
2. Cream together the 9 tablespoons of butter with the sugar until light and fluffy - at medium speed for about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
3. Add in sour cream and vanilla extract to the butter/sugar/egg mixture - mix until combined. Slowly add in the sifted dry ingredients just until combined - DO NOT OVER MIX.
4. Pour the cake into 2 greased 8" round cake pans. Bake @ 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until cakes are lightly browned and begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool for a couple of minutes then remove from pans and cool completely. Set cakes aside.
5. Clean, stem and slice in half the strawberries - place into a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir together and let sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, mash the strawberries....
and sprinkle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar. Allow mashed strawberries and sugar to sit for another 30 minutes. Now it's time to make the frosting and assemble the cake!
Frosting and Cake Assembly Directions:
1. Combine cream cheese, 2 sticks of butter, sifted powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a dash of salt, Beat all together until light and fluffy - a good 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
2. Now let's assemble the cake...take both layers of cake and carefully spread the mashed sugar strawberries over them - juices and all!
....and then place layers on top of one another. To make it a bit easier for me to frost the whole cake I placed it in the freezer for about 10 minutes....
3. Let's frost the cake. Start with the top...
and then spread all over the sides.......
No worries if some of the strawberries come peeking through the frosting...it just adds to the beauty of such a cake. Decorate the top as you wish....of course I just continued on with strawberries and put a couple whole beautiful ones on top.
This cake is pretty easy to transport but should be should be refrigerated until served. I brought this cake to our favorite Chinese restaurant for my beloved God-Sister's BDay celebration.....
It went great with the fortune cookies, pineapple chunks and oranges and pina colada's too! :-)
Happy Birthday Ami!
Thank you so much for joining me in my series of Strawberry Recipes! If you haven't had a chance to check out a couple of other strawberry recipes on my blog you might want to see the post on
Happy Strawberry Shortcake CAKE Baking!