Image Map

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sensational Strawberry Recipes....Part 2 - Strawberry Shortcake Scones


Welcome to the second "sensational" strawberry recipe in my series of three that I will be offering over the next couple of days.

How can you not love a scone?  Scones fall in the same catagory as oatmeal for me....they are delicious, filling and a "comfort" food for me.

This recipe is delightful!  The key to this recipe is having COLD butter...do NOT allow the butter to warm up to room temperature or else your scones will be flat, tough and not a sign of soft crumb will exist. 

Strawberry Shortcake Scones
**recipe makes 12 scones**
(recipe discovered on the lovely blog And Baby Makes Five)

Ingredients:

3 cups flour

1 cup wheat flour (I only had white flour on hand so I used 4 cups of white flour instead of 3)

4 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup sugar - plus a couple of tablespoons for sprinkling

1 tsp salt

1 cup (2 sticks) COLD butter, cubed

2 eggs

1 Tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract

2/3 milk (I used 1/2 & 1/2 as I needed to use it up)

1 cup strawberries, washed, hulled and diced

Directions:

1. In a large bowl combine 1st five ingredients.

  Then dice up COLD butter....


...and combine with flour mixture with a pastry cutter, 2 knives or your hands...


...until the crumbs are pea size.

2.  In a small bowl combine eggs, milk and vanilla extract.  Add to the flour/butter mixture until dough is moist.  DO NOT OVER MIX.  The dough will be rather sticky.

3. Gently knead in diced strawberries...


....and turn onto a well floured surface and knead a few times.

4. Divide dough into 2 equal balls.....

 

....and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
 Gently pat balls into uniform 8-10" circles.  Cut each circle into 8 wedges and then sprinkle with sugar.....

Check out how you can see little lumps of butter in the dough - this is what you want to see.  Small lumps of COLD butter = a crumbly yummy scone! 

5. Bake @ 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.  Delish!

The beauty of this recipe is that you can really add any type of berry to the dough and you will have  lovely scones.  I'm hoping to do blueberry or even raspberry scones with this recipe. :-)




Happy Strawberry Shortcake Scones Baking!


3 comments:

  1. Yum! These look delicious! Thanks for the tip on the butter. I would of melted mine and then had flat tough scones. I will be making these...just have to wait for some strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZA! Yummy! How did you know I had a package of Strawberries I needed to use up?! Looks FABULOUS my dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart strawberries and everything about strawberries!!!!! INCLUDING these YUMMY scones! My sample was gone in seconds...no sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis