Once again my girl, Siggy has provided me with a yummy and quick week night meal for the Fam (meaning EVERYONE - young and old - loved this meal in my household). AND this recipe makes a ton! - hooray for left-overs for the next day! - OR sharing with others.
Siggy makes this recipe with ground turkey which allows it to be lower in fat but I made mine with 85% lean ground beef. Choose your ground meat and go for it!
Cheesy Beef Mac
(recipe adapted from Siggy Spice)
1 lb box elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lbs ground beef (or turkey or chicken....you choose) - I used 1 1/2 lbs of 85% lean ground beef
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1-2 tsp dried parsley
1-2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Once fully cooked, drain and set aside.
2. In large skillet or dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp EVOO. Add ground meat and brown. Drain meat and set aside.
3. Add remaining 2 Tbsp EVOO to skillet or dutch oven, heat over medium heat. Add in onions and green peppers. Saute until soft. Add in crushed garlic. Cook all together until garlic is nice and fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic!
4. Add in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and condensed cheese soup. Stir to combine well. Add in spices and allow to simmer over medium low heat for a good 15-20 minutes so as to allow all the yummy flavors to come together. Taste and add in salt and pepper as needed.
5. Add in reserved browned meat to tomato sauce.
6. In a LARGE bowl combine macaroni and meat/tomato sauce. Carefully stir to combine well.
7. Pour yummy noodles, sauce and meat into casserole dishes. As Siggy did, I used a 9x13 and an 8x8.....yup it makes a TON!!! Top with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese melts into a golden brown happiness and casserole is heated all the way through.
Enjoy with a nice piece of bread and a side of salad! :-)
This post has been linked to....