Image Map

Friday, September 17, 2010

French Rustic Tomato Tart




Got tomatoes?  Lots of tomatoes? Well, have I got a treat for you!  This lovely savory tart is just the ticket for all your FRESH from the garden (or FRESH from the g-store) tomatoes.  Just follow the recipe below to make the d'lish crust, layer with good mustard, sliced fresh tomatoes, sprinkle with fresh herbs and then of course fresh mozzerella cheese and bake. Sooooo good!



I owe all this yumminess to Leigh Anne at Your Homebased Mom.  I stumbled upon her blog a couple of weeks ago and have been over joyed with all the amazing recipes she has to offer.  Go check her blog out for yourself....let me know what recipes appeal to you just in case I have yet to come upon them. ;-)

French Rustic Tomato Tart
(recipe from Your Homebased Mom)

Crust Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbsp butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
2-3 Tbsp cold water

Tart Filling Ingredients:

3 Tbsp Dijon or whole-grain mustard
2-3 large fresh tomatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2-3 Tbsp *freshly chopped herbs - such as basil, chives, parsley, thyme or tarragon *(If you don't have fresh herbs go ahead and use 2 tsp of dried herbs instead)
8oz fresh mozzerella cheese

Directions:

1. Make the crust. Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl.  Add in diced and chilled butter...


  With a pastry blender or your hands blend until full incorporated and crumbly.

2. Beat egg then add in 2 Tbsp of cold water....



....and mix.

3. Make a well in the center of the flour/salt mixture then pour in egg mixture....

 

...stir all together until dough comes together.  If it's not coming together add another tablespoon of cold water.

4. Gather dough into a ball.  Transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 14 inches across.  I rolled my dough out directly on my Silapat (parchment paper would work well too) - which I lightly floured and then transfered to a cookie sheet before I filled the center of the tart dough...



5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Spread mustard in an even layer all over dough and let it sit a few minutes to dry out.....


6. Slice tomatoes and arrange over mustard in a single layer leaving about 2 inches between tomatoes and edge of dough....


....Drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle with herbs....


....and then the fresh mozz cheese slices sprinkled with salt and pepper and more herbs if you wish....


7. Gently fold crust edges all around the filling....


8. Place tart in oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Crust should be light brown, tomatoes tender and the cheese lightly browned.


Once cooled for a couple of minutes, transfer this treasure to a cutting board and cut into slices. Enjoy!


Happy French Rustic Tomato Tart Baking!

This post has been linked to...

Mommy's Kitchen for Pot Luck Sunday

16 comments:

  1. This is such an insanely beautiful looking dish! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just dying over here and that is definitely going on my to-make list as soon as this baby is born and I'm off the gestational diabetes diet!

    You did a gorgeous job of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomatoes and this looks really good! Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! But I confess I would totally cheat and use a frozen sheet of puff pastry for the crust. I bet yours would taste way better though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tart looks so pretty and delicious! Yum!!! I can't wait to make it again. You've got me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avril, your tart is gorgeous! All that fresh mozzarella has me wanting a piece right now. Thank you so much for visiting my blog today. Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like I have found you again! (wink) I am not a cook but Avril you have my mouth watering with this blog.....I think I mayt have to try some of these things you make them easy to follow.!!! Hugs~Donna Centamore

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious Avril. I just discoverd that my fresh mozz was not so fresh and was changing colors- eeew! Once I get more, I'll be trying this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful and looks heavenly! May borrow it soon, thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avril, I'm up late because I can't sleep and now you're making me hungry! This looks awesome and I'm making it for sure! Maybe I'll make the apple crostata for the dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! You can make it simple or add all kinds of things to it. Perfect as always.
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This looks SO good! I'll have to see if my tomatoes are still good. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Avril,

    I'm making this tonight for dinner, though I think I'll have to cook a chicken breast on the side for my meat lover husband :-)

    I asked Maranda from Jolts & JOllies, but do you think I could make this now then refrigerate it for a couple hours, before baking it?

    ~Monica H

    ReplyDelete
  14. This, along with the rest of your work is incredible. I found your site today whilst searching for traditional christmas decorations and I've enjoyed reading through all of your blogs. Your creations are very inspiring and impressive and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! All the best wishes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my heart skipped a beat! these are soooo beautiful! they aren't my fave style, but what you did with them is incredible. you are seriously talented, and never undervalue yourself just to make sales- know your worth in this world! the right customers always do come along, given time. and don't you want your pieces to go to the right people who will LOVE them and appreciate them like you do? of course ya do.

    Susan Graham

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummm...gonna have to make this one for sure! Beautifully done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis