Image Map

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Peach Bars


One of the most beautiful things at my parent's house is their peach tree.  Every year it gives off fruit better and better as the tree matures.  Thank you Mr. Peach Tree for all your lovely fruit you offer us!


About 20 minutes before I picked these peaches we witnessed a deer enjoying herself to a couple of these precious ones - which are like candy to her!  The amazing part of this is that my parent's house is literally 3 feet away from this tree.  My parents and sister were inside getting dinner ready having a grand ole time with music playing, laughing and chatting away with the windows wide open and there was the deer just having a delightful little snack unbeknown to those that were inside the house.  Jeff and I were only able to see the deer because we were driving up the driveway as she ate away at the fruit.  Needless to say the deer decided to leave the rest of the peaches for us when she saw our car pull up the driveway.  How nice of her!



This is one of two recipes that I made with the peaches I harvested that evening. The second peach recipe I made will be coming soon to a computer near you. :-)

Peach Bars
(recipe from The Brown Eyed Baker)

Ingredients:

For the Crumb Topping/Dough:



3 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 egg, lightly beaten

For the Filling:



5 cups peaches, diced or sliced and peeled (about 7 peaches)

2 Tbsp lemon juice

1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13 baking pan.

2. Make the crumb topping/dough.....in a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.  Cut up butter into small slices/chunks....




......then with a pastry cutter blend the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.

3. Lightly beat egg....


...add to the butter/flour mixture...


4. Pour 1/2 of mixture into prepared baking pan and pat down....



Place the pan and the other 1/2 of crumb topping/dough mixture in refrigerator as you prepare the filling.

5. To prepare the filling place the diced/sliced and peeled peaches into a medium bowl..


....sprinkle with lemon juice...



....gently stir to get the lemon juice all over peaches.

6. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and spices and then add to peach/lemon juice mixture.  Mix gently all together.


7. Pour peaches evenly onto prepared crust....







8. Crumble the remaining crumb topping/dough mixture on top of peach layer...


9. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly brown...


Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.


YUM!

Happy Peach Bars Baking!

14 comments:

  1. Yum! This is seriously delicious! I will be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avril, These peach bars look SO good and I'm wishing there were more peaches on my neighbors' tree! I might also be lusting over that peachy cake plate too :-)

    Oh and while I'm here, just wanted to let you know you won the strawberry kitchen timer on my blog! yay!!! email me your address when you can so I can get it out to you.

    Have a great day!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!! Yay for you winning a strawberry timer!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Avril. These look super yummy. A great idea for my daughters lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, this sounds ridiculously good! what a great way to use up some peaches too...definitely bookmarking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had to tell you that your dessert has been on my mind all day. I bought peaches at the market and I will be making it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! Those look fabulous... so good that I may need to bake these tonight! YUM!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted to try this recipe!!! These look amazing! I'd never had peaches in a dessert before and then a couple of weeks ago I made a peach crisp and LOVED it, so I know these are right up my alley;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, OH MY!!! Peaches are my FAVORITE!!!
    I am going to the Farmers Maket this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a perfect recipe for me to try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how GOOD these look! I really want one so I guess I'm going to have to go get me some peaches:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! I need to find some peaches now :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great! And the peaches don't look too mushy. (I have a thing against mushy fruit. :))

    You're very lucky to have access to such good looking peaches.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. The peaches looks gorgeous! The peach bars definitely looks very good..will have to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis