The season of Fall can be such a gorgeous time of the year! - especially when the sun shines, the leaves have turned colors and there is a certain crispness in the air.....and of course when there are goreous FRESH apples to be picked. :-) There is simply nothing better than FRESH apples! FRESH apples to eat in your hand, FRESH apples to have in a large bowl as a decoration and of course FRESH apples to bake with all make me so very happy!
I am sure I will be sharing with you lots of apple recipes in the next couple of months as I enjoy apples in this season of Fall. The first apple recipe that I'd like to share with you is called Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake. What a gem of a recipe! As soon as I saw it on SnoWhite's blog Finding Joy in My Kitchen I knew I had to make it ASAP! - just the idea of baking a cake that has a topping of caramel and apples and that it is "upside down" made me melt.....d'lish! I thank SnoWhite over and over again for offering such lovely recipes. She is truly a talented woman in the kitchen! - as is her hubby too! Take a moment and go check out Finding Joy in My Kitchen if you have yet to do so already.
Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
(recipe adapted from SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen which was adapted from Betty Crocker)
1/4 cup butter
1/8 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 medium apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 box white or yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup oil or applesauce (I used canola oil)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add in cream and brown sugar as butter melts.....stir and heat until butter is completely melted and sugar and cream are well incorporated.
2. Grease a 9x13 pan and then carefully pour caramel mixture into prepared pan...
.....Use a rubber spatula to spread all over base of baking pan....
3. Prepare apples by peeling, coring and cutting. I cut my apples into quarters and then into 4th's - next time I think I will cut my apples thicker (only into 3rds from the quarter size pieces of apples)....cut thinner or thicker as you wish.
4. Layer your apple slices all over caramel layer...
5. Prepare cake mix with water, oil (or applesauce), eggs and spices. Mix well all together and then gently pour over apple layer...
6. Bake in preheated oven (350) for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
Serve warm with cinnamon whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.....Dee'LISH!
Happy Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake Baking!
This post has been linked to...