Strawberries are sweet and red. Rhubarb is tart and greenish-red. Mixed together they are lovely....especially with a little sugar and cornstarch and placed in a pie shell. Strawberry-Rhubarb pie is lovely! And oh yes, YUMMY yum YUM!!!! - especially made with a crumb topping.
(recipe originates from Very Culinary)
4 cups rhubarb - ends trimmed and stalks cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cups strawberries - well washed and quartered
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
prepared deep-dish pie crust (I made mine from The Pioneer Woman's recipe or you can simply use a store bought pie crust....totally up to you).
Ingredients for the crumb topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp COLD unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place oven rack to the lowest level.
2. Gently mix together the prepared rhubarb and strawberries in a large bowl. Add in sugar, cornstarch and salt.
3. Toss (gently) all together with a wooden spoon or a large plastic spatula. Set aside.
4. Make the crumb topping in a medium bowl.
Combine well the flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt......
.....then add the COLD small pieces of butter.....
....then your hands or a pastry cutter (one of my favorite tools in the kitchen) combine all ingredients together until large clumps form......
5. Place mixed fruit into prepare pie shell.
7. Top with crumb topping.
Place your pie on a cookie sheet that has been lined with tin-foil (this will catch any of the juices that overflow from the pie - you don't want the juices to overflow onto your oven floor....it's a sticky mess).
8. Place in oven - reduce oven temp to 375 degrees F. Bake until topping is browned and crust is lightly browned - about 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the crust for if it looks like it is getting too "browned" you will want to cover with tin-foil.
Cool (as long as you can stand to) and serve. Vanilla ice cream goes lovely with this pie if you happen to have any on hand.
Such happiness! Spring-time happiness at that!
Happy Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Baking!