I am in mourning. I am sad....so sad. Why you ask? Well, because my mom and dad have packed their suitcases and boarded a plane to fly over the "BIG pond"/Atlantic Ocean. They have gone to France to visit my mother's side of the family and I am still here on the other side of the ocean - NOT in France with them. I am not only grieving because of the fact that I won't be with them to soak up all the beautiful sites of the French country-side, nor will I be able to fight the crowds of the marche to load my basket full of amazing foods and treasures of the region but most of all I won't be able to wrap my arms around my grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and family friends and kiss them on either side of their face. I usually take a trip myself every other year just so that I can fulfill these needs (as I mentioned above). At the moment I am inside of the year in between visits. It really can be a long time to not see family members for more than a year. Thus I am in mourning......
So to make myself feel a little bit better I made a lovely batch of Lemon Madeleine's. The Madeleine is a delightful cookie. A tea cookie at that! I suggest serving these cookies amongst friends with a large pot of hot tea. Nothing could be better.
(recipe was discovered in the Keene Sentinel)
6 tbsp unsalted butter, plus 1 tbsp for pan
3/4 cup flour, plus more for the pan
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
zest of 1 lemon
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp orange flower water - optional
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp b/c I didn't have any orange water on hand)
1. Melt 6 tbsp's butter in a saucepan over medium heat. After butter is melted set pan aside.
2. In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
3. In a small bowl combine beaten eggs with vanilla and orange flower water (if using). Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients until blended.
4. Add melted butter to the flour/egg mixture and mix slowly but thoroughly until smooth.
5. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight if you can.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Then prepare the Madeleine pan first by brushing with melted butter.....
......and then dusting lightly with flour......
7. Fill each mold with a generous spoonful of batter.
8. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until cake springs back when gently pressed with a finger.
9. Gently pop the Madeleines out of the mold, place in a pretty platter/basket and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Smile....close your eyes and take a bite of a delicious cookie....this will make you happy. I can promise you that......:-)
Happy Lemon Madeleine Baking!
This post has been linked to....