I love it when I can post a "Close to my Heart" recipe on my blog! This opportunity allows me to honor a recipe that has been given to me by either a friend or family member. And today (on a "Fruity Friday") I am fortunate to share a recipe from a beloved childhood friend of mine named, Kerrie. I've known precious Kerrie for most of my life....we've grown up together, we've laughed, cried, played and sang together, we have riden horses and ponies together, we have worn leg-warmers together in the 80's, we've had BIG hair in the 90's, we've had children side by side and all the time our friendship continues to grow and strengthen. Amazing....simply amazing to have such a precious life-long friend. Loving you Kerrie!
Everytime Kerrie gives me a recipe I jump for joy for I know it's going to be out-of-this-world delicious! I'm sure you will agree once you make this cake yourself....you will come begging back to me for more recipes that Kerrie has given me. I know you will. I just know it! :-)
Here we go....
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Blueberry Cake
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar + 1 tbsp sugar for topping
2 eggs (separated)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour + 1 tbp flour to coat blueberries
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh is best, frozen is fine)
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.*
1. Coat blueberries with 1 tbsp flour in a medium size bowl....set aside.
2. Whip butter until soft and then add sugar, egg yolks (one at a time) and vanilla extract.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add flour mixture alternately to the butter mixture with the milk (starting and ending with the flour mixture).
4. Beat egg whites....
.......until they form stiff peaks......
5. Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.......
6. Gently fold in blueberries to batter - just until combined.
7. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 pan (Kerrie suggests using a glass pyrex dish if you have one). Sprinkle cake with 1 tbsp sugar - if you wish......
8. Place in oven - bake for 35-45 minutes. It will be a light golden brown when it is done....along with a heavenly delicious smell! :-)
Serve warm or cooled...enjoy!
See how the top gets all crispy from the baked sugar....wowsers!
Happy Happy Fruity Friday!
but most of all......
Happy Melt-In-Your-Mouth Blueberry Cake Baking!
This post has been linked up to.....