Image Map

Sunday, April 7, 2013

FRESH Strawberry Crumble Cake

 

 
Strawberries have always been one of my all time favorite fruit.  They are beautiful.  They are RED.  And they are delicious....most of the time.  Lately the fresh strawberries in the market are definitely a beautiful red but their flavor is lacking in sweetness and are often quite tart.  In an effort to not waste the beautiful strawberries I had I decided to bake them into a cake.  I did a little search and research on the web and came up with a lovely recipe that fit my needs fully.  A simple cake that called for FRESH strawberries and tasted wonderful.  What more could I ask for! 
 
 
 
 
I was completely delighted with how easy this cake was to whip together.  Simple ingredients along with just a pie plate was all that is required to accomplish this recipe.  In the end you will have a beautiful cake that can be served anytime of the day.   My family enjoyed a slice for breakfast, as an afternoon snack for my girls, it paired lovely with a hot cup of afternoon tea for me and then of course served along side a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream was also just perfect!
 
 
FRESH Strawberry Crumble Cake
(recipe discovered on Feathered Nest Studio which was then linked to Southern Food about.com)
 
Cake Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
 
Crumble ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup COLD butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional...I did not use nuts)
 
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease well a glass or ceramic pie plate (an 8x8 square baking pan would be fine too) and set aside.
 
2. In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Whisk well all together.
 
3. Add in egg, milk and melted 2 Tbsp of butter to flour mixture.  Beat all together for 2 minutes and then pour and spread evenly into prepared pie plate.
 
4. Arrange sliced strawberries on top of cake batter.
 
5. Make crumble topping by adding together in a medium size bowl flour and sugar.  Add in COLD cubed butter. Cut into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or with your fingers until mixture becomes small coarse crumbs.  If using chopped nuts add in now.  Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over sliced strawberries.
 
6.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges of cake are a nice golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean if inserted into center of cake. Cool cake to desired temperature and serve.
 
YUM!
 
 
Happy FRESH Strawberry Crumble Cake Baking!
 
 
Here are a few other recipes that call for STRAWBERRIES on my blog...
 
 This recipe has been linked up to What's Cookin' Wednesday @ Buns In My Oven
 

4 comments:

  1. Now I know what to do with some of my strawberries! This cake (especially the topping) looks "melt in your mouth" GOOD! Love that top photo, Avril!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I could gobble up that crumble alone! I totally have strawberries in my fridge right now - I need to make this! Great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis